Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Week 10: Matariki Day

Matariki
Poi Making
Livy Poi.JPGYesterday it was Matariki day which means means Monday the 15th. My hub is Kauri Hub, we got to do lots of fun stuff but we were only allowed to choose two things, one before morning tea and after morning tea. But after lunch the Kahurangi dance people came in and taught us maori games. There was hand games, String making and Maori Knuckle Bones.
My two activities I chose was Poi Making and Weaving Matariki Stars.
I did Poi Making before morning tea so that means I did it in the morning. Of course I did Matariki Stars after Morning Tea. 
So for Poi Making our teacher was Emma, I know Emma from last year because her daughter is my friend. So the first step was to make the 4 plait and the colours were green and white. We could do two types of different plaits, there was this 4 plait you could do or a fishtail. I chose the fishtail because the fishtail is a plait you can do for your hair and I know how to do a fishtail. So when we were finished plaiting we got some newspaper and tied that in a knot with the string. After that, we got this fluffy thing and put that over the newspaper. We got a plastic bag and put it over the fluffy thing. Then we cut off the rest plastic bag and then our poi was made. 
Then we just learnt how to do some actions with the poi, we also sang a song, it was fun making poi’s.
Weaving Matariki Stars 
After morning tea my activity was weaving matariki stars. I think I found that it was really tricky, I thought that I would do two matariki stars but actually I could only do one. The first thing that we did was we got 4 coloured strips of paper. I don’t remember what colors I got. I wish I had the instructions because I don't remember how to make one. But if I had the instructions I would still need help and practice over and over again to make sure how to make one without instructions.

3 comments:

  1. Wow awesome work Livy well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love doing the poi. Are you doing kapa haka?

    ReplyDelete