Friday, May 8, 2015

Week 3: My Matchstick Name

Last week, my class and I tried to make our name out of 50 matchsticks. The first time we tried, it was a bit hard for some of us so we tried it the second time. 
The second time we tried, most of us got it, but we forgot to take the picture of our names. 
The third time we tried it, everyone got it right. 
There were two options you could choose to do but you had to do it with 50 matchsticks. 
The first option you could choose to do was you could make your name 1 metre long, or you could make your name 20cm tall.   
I chose to make my name 20cm tall.  My name has 4 letters in it, so I had 3 or 2 matchsticks left and we had to use all of our 50 matchsticks and the good thing was that we could overlap, I had to overlap because I only had a few matchsticks left.. I went well with my other letters which were L-I-V, but when I tried the Y, it was a bit hard and I had to do the Y about two times and then I got the Y perfect.
Our main part of learning was about learning how to measure properly. Our criteria was to make our name accurately. The way we measured accurately was that we used rulers.
We also tried to work out the total value of our names. 
The way we worked out the total value of our name was that Mrs Miller gave us a sheet and it had how much the colours cost us. 

2 comments:

  1. Excellent work Livy, you have described very well what the activity and learning was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Work Livy you have done.Also your blog is amazing.

    ReplyDelete